Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Update: Sleeping in the Big Boy Bed

Back in December, when I converted J's crib to a toddler bed, I was hopeful it would go well.

Then we went on vacation, and coming back to sleeping on his own, in his big boy bed, well, we hit a few snags.

Mommy regrouped, got a new plan, and thankfully those pesky upper molars poked through.

Since then, we've been working on passive sleep training.  In other words, when J gets up during the night, I only get up if he really starts fussing.  It is just easier for me to stumble to his room half asleep, get him back into bed and asleep, then jet back to my own bed.  This process only takes about 15 to 20 mins.  And if I get really lucky, Payton won't even insist on a potty trip upon my return to bed.  Then to listen to him cry, really waking Payton up.  Okay, the whole house up.  Maybe the whole neighborhood, would be more accurate.

But, if he does one of these:  whisper "Mommy", a little bit louder, a little bit louder, then I hear a bit of a thump through the monitor.  Yes, I still use my monitor, faithfully.  So?  A bang against the door.  Obnoxiously loud thumb sucking.  10 mins later.  Silence.

And what do I find when I go check on him?  Obviously, I couldn't not check on him... Just because I want him to learn to put himself to sleep on his own, doesn't mean I don't have that strong desire to rush to his side the minute he wakes up. 

A little boy who put himself back to sleep.  Granted, not in bed, but as I told Mr. M who was bummed to see his son sleeping on carpet...

Once he gets himself trained to put himself back to sleep at the door, I'm certain putting himself back to sleep in his bed is just a short time away.  Because, really, who would prefer to sleep on the floor instead of their bed?

As a side note, his sleep position - that's his Daddy... Amazing how things like that are passed down through the genes. 

2 comments:

  1. Awww, that picture is precious! I have a friend who is also moving her toddler to a bed, and her daughter wakes up a lot of the times on the floor, too!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable! I can't imagine choosing to sleep on the floor like that though! You are right, he will get over it!

    ReplyDelete