Thursday, February 4, 2010

1st Backpack

Right before J & I left for Marco in December, his wonderful daycare provider Angie mentioned I really should get him a backpack. I think she thought I didn’t get the hint J really wanted one, as he was constantly trying to steal borrow his classmates when I picked him up each night.


Only I had gotten the hint, just had no idea of what to get him… My old plain black Eddie Bauer ones seemed to do the job, but didn’t seem 2 year old’ish enough.  Granted, it was from my college days... Yet I was leery to buy Elmo, as he could be just a passing fancy. And let’s face it – how many backpacks did I want to buy for my son BEFORE he enters grade school? I’d kind of picked one out on Pottery Barn Kid’s website, but it was on back order at the time… So, I was stuck in limbo.

Then, when we were visiting Grandma & Grandpa, Grandpa had the idea to take J to see Santa at the Bass Pro Shop (BPS). I was game. Seeing Santa in shorts, always a great thing for a kid from the Midwest. My fear, however, was J would meltdown and scream like he had just weekends before at Mr. M’s Christmas Party. We have this delightful family portrait with Santa & Mrs. Claus of me looking at the camera in an attempt to salvage the picture, Mr. M trying to comfort Jacob, and Jacob reaching towards us trying to crawl off Santa’s lap with huge crocodile tears rolling down his cheeks. Let me tell you, that one went right.up.on.the.wall. Okay, so I couldn’t even tell you where it is at this moment. It was that bad.

When we got to BPS we learned, we were not the only ones with this great idea of a free picture with Santa. We had over an hour wait. Great! Not only did I have to worry about how J would react with Santa, but now I’m worrying how he will do in his stroller for an hour before hand…

Grandma solved it… Grandpa took J to the Men’s section & we took off for the Ladies… Good times had by all. After we get in line, seeing all the kids outside their strollers, J said in his very almost 2 year old way (read: scream, fuss & whimper) that he wanted out too. After a couple rounds of redirection, Grandpa gave in & picked him up. I, on the other hand, saw this as an opportunity to escape in hopes J would do well with Santa.

It worked. We have a great picture of Jacob sitting on Santa’s lap in his shorts & polo shirt.

As a reward, Grandma & Grandpa purchased Jacob his very first backpack. It is titled “Fish Stix” and has the most adorable fin & big eyes on the back. I love that it is just the right amount of kid, but not a passing theme, AND it is all boy – just like J. 

While in FL, J ran around in his new backpack - proudly displaying it to all that came in contact with him.


When school (read: daycare) started back up in January, Mr. M had a few rough days. I laid out his backpack for Mr. M to send him off with it at the end of the first week back. Mr. M called me on his way to work to tell me, for the first time all week I didn’t have to check on J, as Mr. M knows J was doing great. J proudly carried his backpack into school.

And with that, we now had a new routine. And he’s growing up a little more each day.  He's even brought home homework 2 nights.  Talk about Mommy not being ready for that!
He even taught me, it’s not a backpack – it’s a playpack. Playpack Mommy. Playpack. So being the good Mom I am, I’ve filled it with goodies that match its name.

We have crayons, coloring book, an Elmo story book, and its even been known to carry Barney (you know, when he’s not being held by the hand, throat, or tail)


I've heard, from experienced mommies, soon I'll be able to have J even carry his own diapers in his backpack.  Now that will be awesome.  Even better, when we don't have to think about them, but J carrying his own... And not putting them on Barney, or rubbing the floor with them...  It's a nice dream...  And for now, it is only a dream.

3 comments:

  1. How cute! That oversized backpack is adorable on him. I think a Dora backpack might be in my (or rather, G's) future!

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Who knew 2 year olds needed backpacks though?!?!

    ReplyDelete