Wednesday, September 2, 2009

and the joke was on me...

Was it me who mentioned our bedtime routine? Just yesterday? Couldn't be...

Okay, so I admit, I did and it was silly to mention it... Because as luck would have it, or really Jacob... Last night Mr. M asked J if he was ready for bed.... J responded "Uh uh" We laughed, really giggled at how cute he was. Thinking he was being so cute to answer us with "no".

Only, he was serious.

Here is how a normal night goes.... We do dinner as soon as we get home from school/work. We play a bit, then into the bath by 6:45/7'ish. After bath we do story time, call Daddy (as he is at work most nights for J's bedtime) to say 'goodnight', and then we do our favorite book Goodnight Gorilla. Then Mr. J gives me a big hug & kiss. And by 7:30/8'ish, he is out for the count.

I love this... I NEED this...

Last night, however, he told us he was not ready for bed, and he was not joking... I'm not sure exactly when our routine went south, but when he was not asleep by 7:30, having been in his crib for a half hour - I decided to go enlist Mr. M's help (since it was his day off work, he was home)... Mr. M was asleep. So I go back to the munchkin's room, and enlist the help of Elmo. (you know that DVD I mentioned here) Only I'm the one who falls asleep. When I wake up around 8:30 it's because the TV has gone to sleep, and J is fussing. (Notice, everyone and everything knows sleep, but Mr. J) So I tried a new thing in our house. I decided to let him cry for 10 mins & settle down to sleep.

THIS DID NOT WORK. Repeat... We will NEVER try this again.

Mr. J bypassed fussing for an ALL-OUT-MELTDOWN - in those 10 minutes. It took both me and Mr. M (who is now awake, thanks to J) and several hours to get him to finally settle down to sleep.

Which by the way, was not until 1AM. So yes, my alarm at 4:30 was rather unwelcome...

So in the near term, please do not ask if J is ready for bed - as he may just decide - No, he really isn't....



And yet... To look at him here... You'd think he was an angel... Actually, most nights he is...

No comments:

Post a Comment