Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mommy bragging... Over 'eggs' & 'winter' the words

Last night, Jacob & I were snuggled on the couch, doing our nightly readings.  We started with Waddles, as I had not read that one recently and it looked cute.  We were following it up with The Giving Tree, as I love the story of this book. 

I love talking about the meaning behind the words in books.  Sometimes I don't think the meaning registers with Jacob, and having the discussion on his relatable level is so meaningful to me.

I know, total eye roll, as I am painfully aware 90% goes over his little head.

The other thing we've been working on, is my pointing at words and having him try to sound them out.  Part of my reasoning is helping him stay engaged in the book when he would really rather be playing, but also to encourage his reading skills.

Mommy brag?

Last night, Jacob read the words 'eggs' in one sentence and 'winter' as the title to a new section.  As I told DH, I'm not sure if J lucky guessed in the context of the sentence or if he really knew them, but this mommy was so proud of her little man.

I know he still has a long ways to go before he is reading me the bedtime stories, but this small step was so HUGE in my world last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment