Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Reaping what you sow...

Galatians 6:7-9 ESV
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

I've begun listening to sermons while I work.  It's amazing what catches in your mind, as you work through other items.  Probably a sign of attention deficit or some other inability to be totally focused disorder, but it works for me.  It's how I process things that need to be chewed on rather than just acknowledged.

One item that has been gnawing at me, is people who feel they can act however they want, and have no repercussion. 
  • Never pick up the phone, but hold to consequence those who do not call
  • Judge, but attack those who judge them
  • Hold grudges, but attack those with grudges
I've long since realized I am not perfect.  I hold no moral high road.  In the past year, as I've felt a strong calling to God, I've truly tried to become more moral.  More loving.  More modest in frivolous items.

I've recently found myself praying for God to calm my wanton heart.  I still want for the frivolous things, but I'm highlighting those wants in myself as being shallow and not in sync with my overall goals.  Teach J to love, be loved.  To accept responsibility for his actions.  To act kindly.  To think of others before himself.  To be happy.

To realize he is blessed with enough.

We may not have everything, but we have enough. 

Today, as my brain gnaws on how to respond to a passive aggressive comment I recently received, this idea of reaping what you sow comes to mind.  And with it, I'm seeing I need to work harder and better with J to overcome our resistance to be in contact with people who sow negativity.  People who do not dial our number, but hold me in contempt for not dial her number. 

If I want my phone to ring, I need to do a better job of ringing others.

God, today I ask you to not only calm my worries, but also to give me strength as I reach out in the spirit of love, that I may not encounter the expected negativity and snark, but be blessed with joy.  Let my seeds of happiness plant, where now lies weeds of despair.  Help me to speak in Your Honor and carry myself with Your Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment