Friday, March 1, 2013

What we are reading around our house lately...

This morning, I learned...

Today is... NEAs Read Across America

Who knew?

Since I LOVE reading, and thankfully Jacob seems to be following in my footsteps, I thought it would be good to post some of the books we've been reading.  We go back and forth on J's books for whether they are hard/soft or the electronic version.  I want him to experience the awesomeness of a book, while enjoying the snuggling in bed reading a good book with the lights out.  So far, our balance has worked.  :-)

Together...
Stink & Judy Moody Series (completed through book 4)
Roscoe Riley Rules (completed book 1)
How to Eat Fried Worms (he's eaten the first worm - YAY!)

On my own, I've have been sucked - literally sucked into a-new-to-me Author...

Allison Brennan.  Oh my gosh, I cannot say enough about how much I LOVE her books.  They are fast paced, and literally have been keeping me on the elliptical since before Christmas vacation.  I'm so excited. 

Currently, I'm primarily reading (as in when I'm not working out, and considering the past week I've had a head cold I haven't worked out either) - Detroit: An American Autopsy and wow... Just wow.  Having lived in the Strohs building apartments in the late 1990's, I saw the hope and possibility of Detroit.  GM taking over the RenCen.  Builders coming back to Detroit creating attractive downtown condos.  There was whispers of what could be...  So when I got lost a couple of years ago coming from the Northeast Suburbs, I grabbed interstate 94 to take through the heart of Detroit towards my ultimate goal in the middle of the state.  My heart was broken from what I saw.  I told my parents, I was truly shocked at how devastated it is.  Any hope seen has been replaced with boards, or worse - simple deterioration.  Reading this book is taking me through all of what I saw.  Knowing most of what is written was previously reported in the local Detroit News, I'm sure it will not shock locals, but for me - having moved away it has been eye opening.  My biggest shock is the devastation to our local Police and Fire Departments in the boots on the ground levels.  My thoughts and prayers go out to them trying to do an honest job daily.

Another good book I read this year, was Hopeless.  I picked it up on the suggestion from my FB app "Kindle Daily Deals".  I was sucking down Allison Brennan's books so quickly, I truly felt I needed to slow down.  I had no expectations, and yet this one made such a huge impact on me.  I'm not sure how I feel about it being teen lit, considering I'm going to be a *please wait* mom, but from an intensity and complexity of emotions - I loved it.  If she had aged the characters, I don't believe it would have made such an impact on me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment